Sunday, May 17, 2015

TO TIP OR NOT TO TIP.....that is the question!!

I have never worked as a server/waitress at a restaurant or any other establishment where people get tips for service. As a customer, I do know what I expect especially if I'm spending my hard earned money. I feel as though good customer service is lacking these days and I want to applaud those who always continue to provide their customers with excellent customer service.
Ok....let's discuss those who don't!! I am very particular about the service I receive at restaurants. I also highly believe that the level of service coincides with how you tip. I have had people tell me that no matter the level of service I received, I should still tip 15% and if the service is excellent or outstanding then the tip should go up from there. Really?!?! So if I receive horrible service, you are telling me that regardless I should tip because that's how they make their money and pay their bills. Well, I believe that if you know that this is how you make your money and pay your bills then you should make an effort to deliver great customer service everyday. I'm sure everyone has their bad days and may not deliver the greatest of service but when you don't take pride in trying to do your job, then why do you think that you deserve a tip.
I will give an example..... I was at a restaurant. Ordered my food. Right before my food came out, a party of like 12-15 people came and sat in the area I was in. My food arrived and I needed steak sauce for my steak. Well.... The server said she would be right back. She then went to the large party that had just came in and proceeded to get their drink orders. Ok,..... so I'm waiting for her to take all their orders. Remind you.... My food is sitting in front of me waiting...... Once she finished taking all the drink orders I was thinking great.....now she is going to get my steak sauce. That wasn't the case. This chick went and made all the drinks for that large party and then after she passed out the drinks she took all their food orders. Of course by now I am not a happy person! All the time she is seeing me looking at her.....waiting on her...... and she keeps holding up a finger like wait a moment. By the time I received my steak sauce, my food had been sitting there approximately 25 minutes. This wasn't the only issue.... but the main one. Other things like not attending to my drink....... not checking on the table... things like that will surely deduct from your tip.
I work hard and I feel that I deserve, at the very least, good service. Its a plus to get excellent/exceptional service. So what do you do when the service did not meet your expectations? Remember, the quality of food has nothing to do with the server..... But everything that goes with making sure your needs are met while being provided service is what I base my tip on.
So have you had horrible service before? Do you tip when the service is bad?  Let me know your thoughts and reasoning behind tipping.
Thanks for reading!! Don't forget to comment & share!!!!!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. What I dont understand is the reason some folks want u to tip when u pick up sumthin. or at moe's where they have a tip jar. They may start putting one in McDonalds next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes tip if I pick up an order. It depends on if I received everything I needed and was satisfied with the to go service.

    ReplyDelete