Sunday, March 1, 2015

I'm giving these things up..... for Lent and for Life!!!!!!

A few weeks ago, those who participate in Lent were trying to figure out exactly what to give up for
Lent this year. In the years past I have given up things like chocolate, meat, alcoholic beverages, ice cream, etc...... All tangible - meaning capable of being touched, real or actual, rather than imaginary or visionary.  This year I decided to give up something that would transform my life in a more spiritual way. Things that would also help to benefit my well being emotionally and mentally.  One of my friends shared with me an interesting article by Phil Ressler- published by Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd (see link below). I decided to choose 5 things off that list to work towards, so this year I decided to give up Ungratefulness, Worry, Feelings of Unworthiness, Impatience, and Resistance to Change

Ungratefulness
I never really looked at myself as being ungrateful. But then I started realizing how blessed I am and how I wasn't thanking God daily for blessing me. I chose to give up ungratefulness because I became aware of just how grateful I should be. I have even been told by my bestie that I can sometimes be ungrateful but of course I could never see it. I'm definitely working on being better.
Worry
I definitely can be a "worry wart".  So I had to add "Worry" to my list of things to give up.  Sometimes I can worry so much that I can feel myself being  stressed out. I've gotten headaches from worrying. My mistake was choosing to worry instead of having faith. Instead of worrying, I just put it all in God's hand. Worrying causes unnecessary stress that can be avoided.
Feelings of Unworthiness
I'm sure we have all had a point in our life where we didn't feel worthy.... Not smart enough....Not pretty enough......Not deserving......Just plain NOT ENOUGH. But we have to get out of the mindset that we are undeserving.  I deserve every good thing that God sends my way and I will no longer feel that I am unworthy of His blessings.
Impatience
Oh my! Now this is me. I am so impatient. I want what I want when I want and I will act a fool if I don't get my way. Well.... maybe not a fool, but I will feel some type of way.  I am learning to be patient. I am praying for patience. I will wait for what is for me and stop trying to make things happen on my own. I will be patient!!!
Resistance to Change
This is the hardest for me but its definitely what I need to work on the most.  My issue is that I can see the changes others need to make but I cant see the things I need to work on to change. My bestie and I have had battles about this as well. This was also something that I battled in my last relationship. I wanted so many things to change about my significant other but the things I needed to change I ignored. I was so resistant to change that it actually played a part in the demise of the relationship. I had to step back and evaluate exactly how I can expect for others to change to fit into my world but not being able to change to fit back into theirs. I learned a lot and I am grateful for that experience to help me to work towards being a better person and changing for the better no matter if others change or not. As long as God is pleased and my changes make me a better me then I am good. And change is good!

Not only am I giving up these things for Lent but I'm working towards giving up these things for life.....
Note: While doing Lent, don't forget to pray daily and be spiritually connected to God as you work towards being a better person.  Pray, Pray, and keep on Praying!!
So tell me..... what did you give up for Lent and how is it going?
To check out the complete list click on the link below....
http://gs4nj.org/40-things-the-give-up-for-lent-the-list/
 Is there anything you would add to the list?
Don't forget to Comment and Share this blog post!!      
  

1 comment:

  1. That a great list. A lot I need to work on. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete